TA.Bethany tells Larry, “Brooke is growing up, we should keep an eye on her.” Brooke hears it and takes it to heart. She gets upset and walks away.
Bethany tells Larry, “Brooke is growing up, we should keep an eye on her.”
Brooke hears it and takes it to heart.
She gets upset and walks away.
Chapter 1: A Conversation Brooke Was Never Supposed to Hear
It was a quiet afternoon at Larry’s house. Brooke had been busy doing her own thing when Bethany walked into the room and noticed Larry sitting on the couch.
Bethany looked toward the hallway before lowering her voice.
“Larry, Brooke is growing up,” she said seriously. “We should keep an eye on her.”
Larry looked at Bethany, surprised by how serious she sounded.
“I know she’s growing up,” Larry replied. “But Brooke knows how to take care of herself.”
Bethany shook her head. “I’m not saying she’s doing anything wrong. I’m just saying things are changing, and we need to pay attention.”
Neither of them noticed Brooke standing just around the corner.
She had stopped when she heard her name.
Brooke listened quietly as Bethany continued talking about how much she had changed lately. But instead of hearing concern in Bethany’s words, Brooke felt like they were judging her.
Her expression slowly changed.
“So that’s what they think about me?” Brooke whispered to herself.
She quietly walked away before either of them could see her.
Chapter 2: Brooke’s Hurt Feelings
Brooke went straight to her room and closed the door.
She sat on the edge of her bed, replaying the conversation in her head.
“I’m growing up, so now they have to watch everything I do?” she thought.
A few minutes later, Larry knocked on her door.
“Brooke, you alright?”
“I’m fine,” she answered quickly.
Larry could tell something was wrong.
“You sure?”
Brooke didn’t respond.
Larry opened the door slightly and saw her sitting there with her arms crossed.
“Brooke, talk to me.”
She finally looked up.
“I heard you and Bethany talking about me.”
Larry froze.
“You heard that?”
“Yes,” Brooke said. “And I heard everything.”
Larry stepped inside.
“Brooke, you misunderstood what we were saying.”
“No, Dad,” she replied, fighting back tears. “You think I can’t be trusted.”
Larry immediately shook his head.
“That’s not what I said.”
“But that’s how it sounded!”
Chapter 3: The Truth Comes Out
Bethany soon realized Brooke had overheard the conversation.
She walked toward Brooke’s room and knocked.
“Brooke, can I come in?”
Brooke hesitated before saying, “Okay.”
Bethany entered and sat beside her.
“I’m sorry you heard that conversation the way you did,” Bethany said.
Brooke looked away.
“You made me feel like I’m a problem.”
Bethany sighed.
“That was never my intention. I said we should keep an eye on you because you’re growing up, not because we think you’re doing something wrong.”
Brooke finally looked at her.
“Then why did it hurt so much?”
“Because growing up can feel like everyone is watching you,” Bethany answered. “But sometimes the people watching are only trying to protect you.”
Larry nodded from the doorway.
“You’re growing up, Brooke. That doesn’t mean we trust you less. It means we love you enough to care.”
Brooke wiped away a tear.
“So you’re not saying I’m still a little kid?”
Larry smiled.
“No. I’m saying you’re becoming a young woman, and I’m proud of you.”
Brooke finally smiled.
Maybe the conversation had hurt her at first, but now she understood that Bethany and Larry weren’t trying to hold her back.
They were simply trying to make sure she didn’t have to face growing up alone.

Comments
Post a Comment