HS... Bethany finally left home and chose to walk away from Larry... Do you think she should stay gone, or give Larry one more chance?
Bethany finally left home and chose to walk away from Larry... Do you think she should stay gone, or give Larry one more chance?
Bethany stood quietly in the middle of the living room, staring at the suitcase sitting beside her.
For the first time in a long time, she wasn't yelling.
She wasn't crying.
She wasn't begging Larry to understand her.
She simply looked exhausted.
Larry stood across the room, watching her with disbelief.
“Bethany… what are you doing?” he finally asked.
Bethany slowly zipped her suitcase.
“I’m leaving.”
Larry's face changed immediately.
“Leaving where?”
“Anywhere but here.”
Larry stepped closer.
“Bethany, calm down. We can talk about this.”
She shook her head.
“No, Larry. That's the problem. We've been talking for months. We've been fighting, apologizing, blaming each other, forgiving each other, and then doing the exact same things all over again.”
Larry didn't know what to say.
Bethany picked up her purse.
“I kept telling myself that if I stayed long enough, things would eventually get better.”
Her voice trembled.
“But somewhere along the way, I stopped asking myself whether I was actually happy.”
Larry stared at her.
“You're really going to walk away from everything?”
Bethany looked directly into his eyes.
“I’m walking away because I finally realized I can't keep losing myself just to keep this relationship alive.”
Larry's eyes became emotional.
“So that's it?”
Bethany hesitated.
“I don't know if it's forever.”
Larry immediately grabbed onto those words.
“Then don't leave. Give me another chance.”
Bethany closed her eyes for a moment.
“That’s exactly what I've been doing, Larry. Giving one more chance. And another. And another.”
She wiped a tear from her cheek.
“How many chances does a person get before they realize the relationship isn't changing?”
Larry lowered his head.
“I can change.”
Bethany looked at him sadly.
“I hope you do.”
Larry looked surprised.
“But?”
“But I don't want to wait around anymore.”
The room became completely silent.
Bethany picked up her suitcase and walked toward the front door.
Larry followed her.
“Bethany, please.”
She stopped.
Larry's voice cracked.
“After everything we've been through, you're really going to leave me standing here?”
Bethany slowly turned around.
“Larry, I’m not leaving because I don't care about you.”
She took a deep breath.
“I’m leaving because I have to start caring about myself.”
Those words hit Larry harder than any argument ever had.
Bethany opened the door.
Outside, the morning air was cold.
She stepped onto the porch.
Larry remained inside, frozen.
“Bethany!”
She stopped but didn't turn around.
“One day,” Larry said, “you might regret walking away.”
Bethany finally looked back.
“And one day, Larry, you might understand why I had to.”
Then she walked away.
No screaming.
No dramatic fight.
No turning around.
Just Bethany walking down the street with her suitcase in her hand and tears quietly falling down her face.
For the first few minutes, she kept telling herself she was strong.
But when she reached the corner, she finally broke down.
She sat on a bench and covered her face.
“I don't know if I'm doing the right thing,” she whispered.
Her phone began ringing.
Larry.
She stared at the screen.
The phone stopped.
A few seconds later, it rang again.
Larry.
Bethany didn't answer.
Then a message appeared.
“Please come home. I don't want to lose you.”
Bethany read the message several times.
Her heart wanted to go back.
But her mind reminded her of everything that had happened.
She put the phone away.
Meanwhile, Larry sat alone in the living room.
For the first time, the house felt enormous.
He looked around at the empty room.
Bethany's things were still everywhere.
Her favorite mug was on the kitchen counter.
Her blanket was folded on the couch.
A picture of the two of them was sitting on the shelf.
Larry picked it up.
He stared at the photograph and whispered,
“What happened to us?”
Hours passed.
Bethany eventually found a temporary place to stay.
She unpacked only a few things.
She sat on the edge of the bed and stared at the suitcase.
Everything she owned was right there.
But somehow, she felt like she had left behind an entire lifetime.
Her phone buzzed again.
This time it was a message from Larry.
“I know I hurt you. I know I made mistakes. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix this.”
Bethany's eyes filled with tears.
Then another message arrived.
“I don't expect you to forgive me today. I just want one chance to prove that I can be better.”
Bethany stared at the screen.
For the first time that day, she wondered if Larry truly meant it.
Could people really change?
Could their relationship be saved?
Or would going back simply reopen the same wounds?
Bethany put the phone down.
“I need time,” she whispered.
The next morning, Larry received a message from Bethany.
It contained only one sentence:
“I'm not coming home right now.”
Larry's heart sank.
But then another message appeared.
“If you really want another chance, don't chase me. Show me.”
Larry stared at those words for a long time.
He finally understood.
Bethany wasn't asking for another promise.
She was asking for proof.
Meanwhile, Bethany looked out the window.
For the first time in years, she had no idea what the future would look like.
And strangely enough...
That scared her.
But it also made her feel free.
She knew she still loved Larry.
She knew she wasn't completely ready to close the door forever.
But she also knew one thing:
If Larry wanted her back, love alone wouldn't be enough.
He would have to earn her trust again.
And this time, Bethany wasn't going to chase him.
She was going to choose herself.
Now the biggest question remained:
Should Bethany stay gone and start a completely new life... or should she give Larry one final chance to prove that he can change?

Comments
Post a Comment