UA... Bethany & Larry Go To Marriage Counseling To Save Their Marriage, But The Counselor Reveals Something During The Session Bethany Gets Angry
Bethany & Larry Go To Marriage Counseling To Save Their Marriage, But The Counselor Reveals Something During The Session Bethany Gets Angry
The tension between Bethany and Larry had reached a breaking point.
After months of arguments, misunderstandings, secrets, and hurt feelings, neither of them knew how much longer their marriage could survive.
One evening, Bethany sat across from Larry at the kitchen table.
“We can't keep living like this,” she said quietly.
Larry looked at her.
“I know.”
“Every time we talk, we end up arguing.”
Larry sighed.
“So what do you want to do?”
Bethany took a deep breath.
“I want us to try counseling.”
Larry looked surprised.
“Marriage counseling?”
“Yes.”
Larry leaned back in his chair.
“You really think somebody can fix all this?”
“No,” Bethany replied. “But maybe they can help us understand why we're destroying each other.”
Larry was silent for a moment.
Finally, he nodded.
“Okay. I'll go.”
Bethany looked relieved.
“Thank you.”
Neither of them realized that their first counseling session was about to uncover something neither was prepared to hear.
THE COUNSELING OFFICE
The next afternoon, Bethany and Larry walked into a quiet counseling office.
The counselor, Dr. Reynolds, greeted them warmly.
“Please have a seat.”
Bethany sat on one side of the couch.
Larry sat on the other.
Dr. Reynolds noticed the distance between them immediately.
“You two look like you're sitting on opposite sides of the world.”
Larry gave a nervous laugh.
Bethany didn't smile.
Dr. Reynolds looked at both of them.
“Why are you here?”
Bethany answered immediately.
“We're trying to save our marriage.”
Larry nodded.
“But we don't know if it's possible anymore.”
Dr. Reynolds leaned forward.
“What makes you say that?”
Larry looked at Bethany.
“She doesn't trust me.”
Bethany immediately responded.
“Because you've given me reasons not to trust you.”
Larry frowned.
“And you've hurt me too.”
Bethany crossed her arms.
“I never said I didn't.”
Dr. Reynolds raised a hand.
“Stop.”
Both of them became quiet.
“This isn't a courtroom,” she said. “We're not here to decide who is guilty.”
She looked at Bethany.
“And we're not here to decide who is the better spouse.”
Then she looked at Larry.
“We're here to understand why the relationship has reached this point.”
For the first time, both of them became quiet.
THE FIRST QUESTION
Dr. Reynolds handed them a sheet of paper.
“I want each of you to answer one question privately.”
Bethany looked down.
The question was simple:
“If your marriage ended tomorrow, what would you regret the most?”
Bethany immediately began writing.
Larry stared at the page for several seconds.
Then he started writing too.
After five minutes, Dr. Reynolds asked them to stop.
“Bethany, would you like to read your answer?”
Bethany hesitated.
Then she looked at Larry.
“I would regret believing you could change.”
Larry looked hurt.
Dr. Reynolds turned to him.
“And you?”
Larry swallowed.
“I would regret losing the family we built because neither of us knew how to stop fighting.”
Bethany's expression softened for a moment.
But then Dr. Reynolds asked another question.
“When did you two stop feeling like partners?”
Bethany answered:
“When Larry stopped telling me the truth.”
Larry responded:
“When Bethany stopped believing anything I said.”
The room became silent.
Dr. Reynolds nodded.
“And that's the real problem.”
THE COUNSELOR MAKES A SHOCKING OBSERVATION
Dr. Reynolds looked at both of them.
“I've been listening to you for almost an hour.”
Bethany nodded.
“And I've noticed something.”
“What?” Larry asked.
“You aren't actually fighting about the things you're talking about.”
Bethany frowned.
“What does that mean?”
Dr. Reynolds continued.
“Your arguments about money, trust, family, and the past are symptoms.”
Larry looked confused.
“Symptoms of what?”
“Fear.”
Bethany crossed her arms.
“Fear of what?”
Dr. Reynolds looked directly at her.
“Bethany is afraid Larry will leave her.”
Bethany's eyes widened.
Then Dr. Reynolds looked at Larry.
“And Larry is afraid Bethany will never forgive him.”
Larry lowered his head.
Dr. Reynolds continued.
“You're both fighting because you're terrified of losing each other.”
Bethany became emotional.
But she didn't respond.
Larry quietly said:
“That sounds right.”
Bethany looked at him.
“You're afraid I'll leave?”
Larry nodded.
“I am.”
For a moment, they simply stared at each other.
THEN THE COUNSELOR REVEALS SOMETHING ELSE
Dr. Reynolds opened her notebook.
“But there's something else I noticed.”
Bethany's expression changed.
“What?”
“You two have been trying to solve your marriage problems by discussing the past.”
Larry nodded.
“That's true.”
“But neither of you has asked the most important question.”
Bethany frowned.
“What question?”
Dr. Reynolds looked at them.
“Do you actually want the same future?”
The room became completely silent.
Larry looked at Bethany.
Bethany looked at Larry.
Dr. Reynolds continued.
“Because wanting to stay married isn't enough.”
Bethany became defensive.
“What do you mean?”
“I mean one person can want a marriage while the other person only wants the relationship to stop hurting.”
Bethany's face tightened.
“Are you saying Larry doesn't want to be married to me?”
Dr. Reynolds shook her head.
“I'm not saying that.”
“Then what are you saying?”
“I'm saying one of you may already have emotionally left the marriage.”
Bethany immediately stood up.
“What?”
Larry looked shocked.
“Bethany, sit down.”
“No!”
She turned toward the counselor.
“Who are you talking about?”
Dr. Reynolds remained calm.
“I didn't name anyone.”
Bethany pointed toward Larry.
“Then why are you looking at him?”
Larry stood up.
“Bethany, she wasn't—”
“You were talking about him!”
Dr. Reynolds interrupted.
“Bethany, please sit down.”
But Bethany was furious.
“You don't know what we've been through!”
“I know.”
“No, you don't!”
Bethany grabbed her purse.
“You've been listening to us for one hour and suddenly you think you understand our entire marriage?”
Larry tried to calm her.
“Please don't walk out.”
Bethany turned toward him.
“And you're just sitting there!”
Larry looked confused.
“What do you want me to say?”
“I want you to tell her she's wrong!”
Larry became silent.
That silence hurt Bethany more than anything.
BETHANY DEMANDS THE TRUTH
Bethany looked at Larry.
“Do you still want this marriage?”
Larry didn't answer immediately.
Bethany's eyes filled with tears.
“Answer me.”
Larry finally said:
“Yes.”
Bethany shook her head.
“You hesitated.”
“I was trying to find the right words.”
“There are no right words!”
Larry stepped toward her.
“I want us to work.”
Bethany wiped her tears.
“Then why does it feel like I'm the only one fighting for us?”
Larry looked down.
“Because I'm tired.”
Bethany froze.
“Tired of me?”
“No.”
“Tired of our marriage?”
“No.”
“Then what?”
Larry looked directly at her.
“I'm tired of hurting you.”
Bethany's anger suddenly faded.
Larry continued.
“Every time we argue, I see how much pain I've caused you. And I don't know how to fix it.”
Bethany whispered:
“You could start by being honest.”
Larry nodded.
“I know.”
THE COUNSELOR'S FINAL REVELATION
Dr. Reynolds quietly spoke.
“That's exactly why I brought this up.”
Bethany looked at her.
“What?”
“The problem isn't that Larry doesn't love you.”
Bethany waited.
“The problem is that both of you have been using anger to hide your fear.”
Larry nodded slowly.
Dr. Reynolds continued.
“And Bethany…”
“Yes?”
“You've been trying to control Larry's actions because you're afraid you can't control the outcome.”
Bethany's face changed.
She realized the counselor was right.
But she still wasn't ready to accept it.
Dr. Reynolds then said something that shocked them both.
“I think you two need to separate temporarily.”
Bethany's eyes widened.
“What?!”
Larry looked stunned.
“A separation?”
“Yes,” Dr. Reynolds replied.
Bethany became furious.
“We came here to save our marriage!”
“And that's exactly why I'm suggesting it.”
Bethany shook her head.
“No. Absolutely not.”
Dr. Reynolds explained that a temporary separation didn't automatically mean divorce.
“It means you stop fighting long enough to decide whether you're rebuilding this marriage because you truly want each other—or because you're afraid of being alone.”
Bethany stood silently.
Larry looked at her.
“Maybe we should listen.”
Bethany turned toward him.
“You agree with her?”
Larry nodded.
“I think we need to.”
Bethany's eyes filled with tears.

Comments
Post a Comment