SR Larry’s Lawyer Arrives at Bethany’s House—But Why Did He Bring Divorce Papers? Full Skit In 1st Comment

Larry’s Lawyer Arrives at Bethany’s House—But Why Did He Bring Divorce Papers? Full Skit In 1st Comment


It was a quiet afternoon at Bethany’s house when someone suddenly knocked on the front door.

Bethany was sitting in the living room, trying to gather her thoughts after another difficult week. She had been expecting Larry to call, but she never imagined that the next person at her door would be his lawyer.

The knocking came again.

Bethany slowly stood up.

“Who is it?”

A man’s voice answered from outside.

“Bethany? My name is Mr. Carter. I’m Larry’s attorney. I need to speak with you.”

Bethany froze.

“Larry’s attorney?”

She walked toward the door and looked through the window.

A professionally dressed man stood on the porch holding a large envelope.

Bethany immediately became nervous.

She opened the door slightly.

“Can I help you?”

The lawyer nodded.

“I’m sorry to arrive without much notice, but I have documents that need to be delivered to you personally.”

Bethany looked at the envelope in his hand.

“What kind of documents?”

The lawyer paused.

“Divorce documents.”

Bethany’s face went completely pale.

“Divorce?”

“Yes.”

For several seconds, Bethany couldn't speak.

She opened the door and stepped back.

“Please… come inside.”

The lawyer entered and sat down.

Bethany remained standing.

“Did Larry send you?”

“Yes.”

“Does he really want a divorce?”

The lawyer carefully placed the envelope on the table.

“These documents represent his current legal decision. You should read everything carefully before signing anything.”

Bethany stared at the envelope.

Her hands began to tremble.

She had known her marriage with Larry was in serious trouble, but hearing the word “divorce” made everything feel real.

She slowly picked up the envelope.

“Why didn't Larry come himself?”

The lawyer looked at her.

“I can't speak for Larry personally. My job is to deliver these documents and explain the legal process.”

Bethany swallowed hard.

“So he couldn't even face me?”

The lawyer remained silent.

Bethany opened the envelope.

Inside were several pages.

The first page contained Larry’s name.

Bethany's eyes immediately filled with tears.

She sat down.

“This can't be happening.”

The lawyer gave her a moment.

Bethany began reading.

The more she read, the more emotional she became.

She remembered the first time she and Larry had met.

She remembered their happiest days.

She remembered family celebrations, difficult moments, arguments, apologies, and promises they had made to each other.

And now all of it seemed to be coming to an end.

Bethany wiped her tears.

“Does Larry hate me?”

“No,” the lawyer answered. “This isn't necessarily about hate. Sometimes people reach a point where they believe they can no longer continue their marriage.”

Bethany shook her head.

“But we were supposed to fix things.”

The lawyer sighed.

“You still have legal rights. You should speak with your own attorney before signing anything.”

Bethany looked at the papers again.

“I’m not signing this today.”

“That is completely your decision.”

She stood up.

“Tell Larry something for me.”

“What would you like me to tell him?”

Bethany's voice trembled.

“Tell him that if he wanted to end our marriage, he should have had the courage to tell me himself.”

The lawyer nodded.

“I understand.”

After he left, Bethany closed the door and leaned against it.

She couldn't stop crying.

A few minutes later, she called Larry.

He answered.

“Hello?”

“Your lawyer was just here.”

Larry became silent.

“You sent him to give me divorce papers?”

“Yes.”

Bethany's voice cracked.

“Why didn't you come yourself?”

Larry struggled to answer.

“I didn't know what else to do.”

“You could have talked to me.”

“I tried, Bethany.”

“No, Larry. You stopped trying.”

There was silence.

Bethany continued.

“I’m not signing anything until I understand exactly what I'm agreeing to.”

Larry sighed.

“That’s your right.”

“Did you really think I would just sign them?”

“I didn't know what you would do.”

Bethany looked at the papers lying on the table.

“Well, now you know.”

She ended the call.

That night, Bethany couldn't sleep.

She kept looking at the documents.

Eventually, she made a decision.

She called her own lawyer.

“I need someone to help me understand these papers,” Bethany said. “And I need to know what my options are.”

The following morning, Bethany met with her attorney.

She explained everything that had happened.

Her attorney carefully reviewed the documents.

“Bethany, don't rush into signing anything just because you're emotional.”

Bethany nodded.

“I don't want revenge against Larry.”

“Then focus on protecting yourself and making a decision you won't regret.”

Bethany looked down.

“I still care about him.”

Her attorney replied gently, “Caring about someone doesn't mean you have to accept every decision they make.”

Meanwhile, Larry was sitting alone at home.

He had expected to feel relieved after the divorce papers were delivered.

Instead, he felt worse.

He kept replaying the moment he had authorized his lawyer to take the papers to Bethany.

He remembered all the years they had shared.

Then his phone rang.

It was his lawyer.

“How did it go?” Larry asked.

“She received the documents.”

“Did she sign?”

“No.”

Larry closed his eyes.

“I figured.”

“She wants time to review everything with her own attorney.”

Larry nodded.

“That’s fair.”

There was a pause.

Then the lawyer said, “Larry, are you sure this is what you want?”

Larry didn't answer immediately.

“I thought I was.”

“But now?”

Larry looked around the empty room.

“I don't know anymore.”

That evening, Larry drove to Bethany's neighborhood.

He stopped outside her house but didn't get out of the car.

He stared at the front door.

He wanted to knock.

He wanted to apologize.

He wanted to tell her that he was scared and confused.

But he stayed in the car.

Inside the house, Bethany stood near the window.

She noticed Larry's vehicle outside.

Her heart began pounding.

For several seconds, neither of them moved.

Then Larry finally stepped out.

Bethany opened the door.

Larry stood on the porch.

“Can I come in?”

Bethany hesitated.

Then she stepped aside.

Larry entered.

Neither spoke for a moment.

Finally, Larry said, “I’m sorry.”

Bethany looked at him.

“For sending your lawyer?”

“For everything.”

Bethany's eyes filled with tears.

“Do you really want this divorce?”

Larry struggled to answer.

“I thought I did.”

“And now?”

Larry looked down.

“Now I realize I don't know what I want.”

Bethany took a deep breath.

“You can't hand someone divorce papers one day and then expect them to forget everything the next.”

“I know.”

“If you want to save this marriage, you have to prove it with your actions—not just words.”

Larry nodded.

“I understand.”

Bethany looked toward the envelope on the table.

“I’m not signing anything tonight.”

Larry nodded.

“I won't pressure you.”

For the first time in weeks, they stood together without shouting.

But neither knew what would happen next.

The divorce papers had arrived.

The marriage was officially at a crossroads.

And Bethany had one question left in her mind:

Would Larry truly fight to save their marriage—or was this only the beginning of the end?

Comments