Larry Wasn’t Ready for This! His Lawyer Shows Up and Finally Hands Him the Divorce Papers
It was a quiet afternoon at Larry’s house.
Larry was sitting in the living room, staring at his phone while trying to forget everything that had happened over the past few weeks. The arguments, the broken trust, the constant tension, and the endless conversations about his marriage had left him emotionally exhausted.
For the first time in days, Larry thought he might finally get a moment of peace.
Then—
DING DONG!
Larry looked toward the front door.
“Who could that be?” he muttered.
He slowly got up and walked toward the door.
When he opened it, his expression immediately changed.
Standing outside was his lawyer.
Larry stared at him.
“Man… what are you doing here?”
The lawyer didn’t smile.
“Larry, I need to talk to you.”
Larry immediately became suspicious.
“About what?”
The lawyer stepped inside while carrying a large leather folder.
Larry followed him into the living room.
“Is something wrong?” Larry asked.
The lawyer placed the folder on the table.
“Larry, I came here because the documents are ready.”
Larry frowned.
“What documents?”
The lawyer looked directly into his eyes.
“The divorce papers.”
Larry froze.
For several seconds, he didn't say a word.
“Divorce papers?” Larry finally whispered.
“Yes.”
Larry slowly sat down.
“But I thought we still had time to figure things out.”
The lawyer sighed.
“We've discussed every possible option. But the paperwork has now been prepared.”
Larry stared at the folder.
He couldn't bring himself to touch it.
His lawyer pushed it toward him.
“Larry, you need to look through these.”
Larry shook his head.
“No… not yet.”
“Larry—”
“I said not yet!”
His voice echoed through the room.
The lawyer stopped talking.
Larry stood up and began pacing.
“I never thought I'd be sitting in my own house looking at divorce papers.”
He rubbed his face.
“I thought no matter how bad things got, we'd eventually find a way back to each other.”
The lawyer quietly replied,
“Sometimes people reach a point where they have to make a decision, even when they don't want to.”
Larry looked at him.
“So you're telling me this is really happening?”
The lawyer nodded.
“The papers are ready.”
Larry finally opened the folder.
He began reading the first page.
His hands started shaking.
Every sentence seemed to make the situation more real.
He turned another page.
Then another.
Finally, he put the papers down.
“This isn't just paperwork,” Larry said quietly. “This is the end of a whole chapter of my life.”
The lawyer remained silent.
Larry looked toward the family photographs hanging on the wall.
He remembered the happier days.
The celebrations.
The laughter.
The moments when everyone believed the family would stay together forever.
Then his phone suddenly rang.
Larry looked at the screen.
It was Bethany.
He didn't answer.
The phone stopped.
A few seconds later, it rang again.
Larry stared at it.
His lawyer asked,
“Are you going to answer?”
Larry hesitated.
“I don't know what I'm supposed to say.”
The phone stopped ringing again.
Then a message appeared.
Larry opened it.
It simply said:
“Larry, we need to talk. Please don't make any decisions without talking to me first.”
Larry's eyes widened.
He looked at the divorce papers.
Then he looked at the message.
His lawyer noticed the change in his expression.
“What did she say?”
Larry handed him the phone.
The lawyer read the message and then looked back at Larry.
“This is your decision.”
Larry sat down again.
“What if she wants to fix everything?”
The lawyer replied,
“Then you need to have an honest conversation with her.”
Larry looked at the signature line on the final page.
There was a pen sitting beside the papers.
He picked it up.
His hand hovered over the document.
For a moment, it looked like he was about to sign.
But then—
KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!
Larry suddenly looked toward the front door.
His lawyer stood up.
“Were you expecting someone?”
Larry shook his head.
“No.”
Another knock.
Larry slowly walked toward the door.
He opened it.
And his eyes widened.
Bethany was standing outside.
She looked emotional and completely exhausted.
Larry couldn't speak.
Bethany looked past him and noticed the lawyer standing in the living room.
Then she saw the folder on the table.
Her face changed.
“Are those… divorce papers?”
Larry didn't answer.
Bethany stepped inside.
“You were really going to sign them without even talking to me?”
Larry looked down.
“I didn't know what else to do.”
Bethany's eyes filled with tears.
“I know we've made mistakes. I know we've hurt each other. But does that mean everything we've built has to disappear?”
Larry took a deep breath.
“I don't know anymore.”
Bethany walked closer.
“Then don't sign them tonight.”
The lawyer quietly closed the folder.
“Larry, I'm going to give you both some privacy.”
He picked up his briefcase and headed toward the door.
Before leaving, he turned around.
“Whatever you decide, make sure it's a decision you can live with.”
The door closed.
Larry and Bethany were now standing alone in the living room.
Neither of them spoke.
Finally, Larry picked up the divorce papers.
He looked at Bethany.
“You want me to give us another chance?”
Bethany nodded.
“I want us to at least have one honest conversation before we decide that everything is over.”
Larry looked at the signature line one more time.
Then, slowly, he placed the pen back on the table.
“I won't sign tonight.”
Bethany released a shaky breath.
“But Larry…”
He looked at her.
“This doesn't mean everything is fixed.”
“I know,” Bethany whispered.
“It means we finally talk.”
Larry nodded.
For the first time in a long time, the two of them sat across from each other without shouting.
The divorce papers remained on the table between them.
They were still there.
The marriage wasn't saved yet.
But Larry had made one decision—
He wasn't going to sign those papers until he knew the truth about whether their marriage still had a future.
And little did either of them know…
The next conversation was about to reveal a secret that could change everything.
Comments
Post a Comment