SR Brooke Meets Her Handsome Cousin Darnell —Then He Asks Her Out to Dinner!

Brooke Meets Her Handsome Cousin Darnell —Then He Asks Her Out to Dinner!


Brooke had been trying her best to move forward.

After everything that had happened with Isaiah, she was tired of the arguments, lies, jealousy, and heartbreak. She had promised herself that she would stop chasing people who didn't appreciate her.

One afternoon, Brooke was walking outside her house when she noticed a moving truck parked next door.

A handsome young man was carrying boxes toward the new house.

Brooke slowed down.

The man noticed her and smiled.

“Hey! You must be Brooke, right?”

Brooke smiled back.

“Yeah. How do you know my name?”

He laughed.

“Your neighbor told me. I'm Darnell. I just moved in.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.”

Darnell picked up another box.

“Actually, I'm still trying to figure out where everything goes. Moving is harder than it looks.”

Brooke laughed.

“Trust me, I know.”

They started talking, and what was supposed to be a quick introduction turned into a long conversation.

Darnell was funny, respectful, and easy to talk to.

For the first time in a while, Brooke found herself smiling without thinking about Isaiah.

Darnell noticed.

“You have a really nice smile.”

Brooke became slightly embarrassed.

“Thank you.”

He smiled.

“I was wondering… would you like to have dinner with me sometime?”

Brooke froze.

“Dinner?”

“Yeah. Nothing complicated. Just dinner and getting to know each other.”

Brooke looked toward her house.

“I don't know…”

Darnell immediately nodded.

“No pressure. If you're not comfortable, I completely understand.”

That response surprised Brooke.

She smiled.

“Maybe dinner isn't such a bad idea.”

Darnell grinned.

“So that's a yes?”

Brooke laughed.

“It's a maybe.”

“A maybe is better than a no.”

They both laughed.

But neither of them realized someone had been watching from across the street.

Isaiah.

He had come to see Brooke.

And what he saw made him furious.

Isaiah watched as Darnell walked back toward his house.

Then he approached Brooke.

“Who was that?”

Brooke's smile disappeared.

“Why do you care?”

Isaiah stared at her.

“I asked you a question.”

“And I don't owe you an answer.”

Isaiah looked toward Darnell's house.

“Is that the new guy?”

Brooke crossed her arms.

“His name is Darnell.”

Isaiah became quiet.

“Are you dating him?”

Brooke shook her head.

“Not yet.”

Isaiah's expression changed.

“Not yet?”

Brooke nodded.

“He asked me to dinner.”

Isaiah couldn't believe it.

“You're actually considering going?”

Brooke looked directly at him.

“Why wouldn't I?”

Isaiah had no answer.

Brooke continued:

“You made your choices, Isaiah. Now I'm making mine.”

Isaiah tried to hide his jealousy.

“You barely know this guy.”

“And you barely know who I've become after everything you put me through.”

That statement silenced him.

Brooke walked inside.

Isaiah stood outside, realizing that Brooke might actually be moving on.

Later that evening, Brooke received a text.

It was from Darnell.

“Still thinking about dinner? No pressure. 😊”

Brooke smiled.

She typed:

“Okay. Dinner sounds nice.”

But before she could send it, someone knocked on the door.

Brooke opened it.

Larry was standing there.

He immediately noticed Brooke's expression.

“Why are you smiling?”

Brooke quickly put her phone away.

“Nothing.”

Larry raised an eyebrow.

“Brooke…”

Before she could answer, another voice came from outside.

“Hey, Brooke!”

It was Darnell.

Larry turned toward the door.

“Who is that?”

Brooke sighed.

“That's Darnell. My new neighbor.”

Darnell walked over and politely introduced himself.

“Hi, sir. I'm Darnell. I just moved next door.”

Larry looked at Brooke.

Then at Darnell.

Then back at Brooke.

“Why is your new neighbor calling you outside this late?”

Darnell quickly explained.

“I just wanted to confirm our dinner plans.”

Larry's eyes widened.

“Dinner plans?”

Brooke became embarrassed.

“Dad, it's just dinner.”

Larry shook his head.

“Just dinner?”

Darnell remained respectful.

“Sir, I understand you're protective of her. I'm not trying to cause any problems.”

Larry stared at him for a moment.

Then he looked at Brooke.

“You're really going?”

Brooke nodded.

“Yes.”

Larry sighed.

“Then just be careful.”

Darnell smiled.

“Of course.”

After Darnell left, Larry turned toward Brooke.

“You're smiling again.”

Brooke smiled softly.

“Maybe that's a good thing.”

Larry nodded.

“Maybe it is.”

The next day, Brooke got ready for dinner.

She stood in front of the mirror, wondering whether she was making the right decision.

For months, she had been hurt.

But maybe this wasn't about replacing Isaiah.

Maybe it was simply about giving herself permission to be happy again.

Just as Brooke was about to leave, her phone buzzed.

A message appeared.

It was from Isaiah.

“We need to talk. I know about your dinner tonight.”

Brooke stared at the screen.

Then another message arrived.

“And when you find out why I'm here, you may change your mind.”

Brooke's smile disappeared.

She slowly lowered her phone.

“What does he want now?”

Outside, Darnell was waiting by his car.

But Brooke had no idea that Isaiah was also on his way.

And when all three finally met face-to-face…

the dinner that was supposed to be a fresh start was about to become the most dramatic night Brooke had ever experienced.

Comments