HS.... Bethany opened the door... and her whole life changed in 5 seconds. Larry was standing there with his lawyer... holding divorce papers.

Bethany opened the door... and her whole life changed in 5 seconds.  Larry was standing there with his lawyer... holding divorce papers.


Bethany had no idea that her life was about to change forever.

It was a quiet afternoon.

She had been sitting in the living room, trying to keep herself calm after weeks of arguments and tension with Larry. Their relationship had become complicated, and lately, every conversation seemed to turn into another fight.

Bethany looked at her phone.

No calls from Larry.

No messages.

She sighed.

“Maybe things will finally calm down,” she whispered.

Then suddenly—

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Bethany looked toward the front door.

She wasn't expecting anyone.

Another knock came.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

“Who is it?”

There was no answer.

Bethany slowly walked toward the door.

She looked through the window.

Her face immediately changed.

Larry was standing outside.

But he wasn't alone.

Standing beside him was a man wearing a dark suit and holding a large folder.

Bethany's heart began pounding.

“Why does Larry have a lawyer with him?”

She opened the door.

And in that moment, everything changed.

Larry looked at her without saying a word.

The lawyer stepped forward.

“Mrs. Bethany, may we come inside?”

Bethany stared at Larry.

“What's going on?”

Larry remained silent.

Bethany looked at the folder in the lawyer's hand.

Then she noticed the papers sticking out.

Her eyes widened.

“Larry…”

Larry finally spoke.

“Bethany, we need to talk.”

She shook her head.

“No. You don't bring a lawyer to my door just to talk.”

The lawyer looked down at the documents.

“Unfortunately, this is more serious than a conversation.”

Bethany's breathing became heavier.

“What are those papers?”

Larry looked away.

Bethany stepped closer.

“Larry, what are you holding?”

The lawyer answered.

“Divorce papers.”

Bethany froze.

For several seconds, she couldn't move.

It felt like the entire world had stopped.

“Divorce?”

Larry nodded slowly.

Bethany looked at him in disbelief.

“You're divorcing me?”

Larry didn't answer immediately.

Bethany's eyes filled with tears.

“After everything we've been through?”

Larry finally said:

“I didn't make this decision overnight.”

Bethany laughed through her tears.

“You didn't make it overnight? Then how long have you been planning this?”

Larry remained quiet.

“That long?” Bethany asked.

The lawyer gently interrupted.

“Mrs. Bethany, I understand this is difficult, but Larry has decided to formally begin the divorce process.”

Bethany looked directly at Larry.

“You couldn't even tell me yourself?”

Larry sighed.

“I knew if I came alone, we'd end up arguing.”

“So you brought a lawyer to protect yourself from me?”

“No.”

“Then why?”

Larry looked at her.

“Because I didn't know how else to do this.”

Bethany wiped her tears.

“You could have just talked to me.”

“I tried.”

“You didn't try hard enough!”

Her voice echoed through the house.

The lawyer stepped back, allowing them to speak.

Bethany pointed toward Larry.

“You promised me we'd work through our problems.”

Larry's expression became emotional.

“I know.”

“You promised you wouldn't give up on us.”

“I know.”

“And now you're standing at my door with divorce papers?”

Larry looked down.

“I don't want to keep hurting each other.”

Bethany shook her head.

“So your solution is to end everything?”

Larry whispered:

“Maybe ending the marriage is better than continuing like this.”

Bethany couldn't believe what she was hearing.

She walked toward the sofa and sat down.

Her hands were shaking.

She looked at the papers.

“Can I see them?”

The lawyer handed her the folder.

Bethany opened it.

She started reading.

Her expression changed with every page.

Then she reached one section and stopped.

“What is this?”

Larry looked at her.

“It's part of the agreement.”

“You want the house?”

“No.”

“You want my accounts?”

“No.”

Bethany looked confused.

“Then what are you asking for?”

Larry took a deep breath.

“I want us to separate peacefully.”

Bethany looked up.

“And that's it?”

Larry nodded.

“I don't want revenge. I don't want to destroy you. I just want both of us to have a chance to start over.”

Bethany's tears began falling.

“But I don't want to start over.”

Larry's eyes became watery.

“I know.”

“I want my family.”

Larry looked away.

“I wanted that too.”

Silence filled the room.

Then Bethany suddenly noticed another page.

She picked it up.

“Larry… what's this?”

The lawyer immediately became serious.

“That document concerns the next stage of the proceedings.”

Bethany looked at Larry.

“Are you telling me you already planned everything?”

Larry didn't answer.

Bethany stood up.

“You already spoke to attorneys? You already discussed our property? You already planned where you're going to live?”

Larry nodded slowly.

Bethany's heart sank.

“You really thought this through.”

“Yes.”

She stared at him.

“Then why did you keep pretending everything was okay?”

Larry whispered:

“Because I was scared.”

Bethany stopped.

“Scared of what?”

“Scared of losing you.”

Bethany shook her head.

“But you're the one leaving.”

Larry's eyes filled with tears.

“I know.”

For a moment, neither of them spoke.

Then Bethany looked at the lawyer.

“If I don't sign these today, what happens?”

The lawyer answered carefully.

“You are not required to sign immediately. You should have time to review the documents and obtain independent legal advice.”

Bethany nodded.

Larry looked at her.

“I don't expect you to sign today.”

Bethany looked surprised.

“Then why bring them?”

“Because you deserve to know where I stand.”

Bethany looked down at the papers.

Her hands slowly closed around the folder.

“You've changed my entire life in five minutes.”

Larry replied softly:

“I know.”

Bethany walked toward the door.

Larry thought she was asking them to leave.

Instead, she opened the door and stood there.

“Go.”

Larry looked at her.

“Bethany…”

“Go before I say something I'll regret.”

Larry nodded.

The lawyer walked outside.

Larry remained at the door for one final moment.

He looked at Bethany.

“I never wanted to hurt you.”

Bethany whispered:

“Then you shouldn't have brought those papers.”

Larry walked away.

Bethany closed the door.

The second the door shut, she collapsed onto the sofa.

She held the divorce papers against her chest and cried.

But then something caught her attention.

One page had been left behind.

Bethany picked it up.

At the bottom was a handwritten note from Larry.

She read it slowly.

“There is one thing I haven't told you yet.”

Bethany's crying stopped.

She looked at the door.

“What haven't you told me?”

She turned the page over.

There was another sentence.

“Before you sign anything, you need to know the truth about what happened the night I left.”

Bethany stared at the message.

Her expression changed from heartbreak to confusion.

“What truth?”

She grabbed her phone and called Larry.

He didn't answer.

She called again.

Still nothing.

Then her phone buzzed.

A message appeared from an unknown number.

“Don't sign the divorce papers until you hear what Larry has been hiding.”

Bethany's eyes widened.

She stared at the message in complete shock.

Someone else knew about Larry's secret.

But who?

And why were they warning her?

Bethany slowly looked back at the divorce papers.

She realized that the divorce might be only the beginning.

Because before she could decide whether to sign…

she needed to discover the truth Larry had been hiding.

What was Larry's secret? And who sent Bethany that mysterious message?

Comments